Updated May 1, 2019Chatelaine
- MELT butter in the microwave or on the stove. Set aside to cool. Measure out buttermilk, or stir milk with lemon juice then let stand until slightly thickened, at least 5 min. In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in centre.
- WHISK pumpkin purée with eggs with buttermilk, cooled melted butter and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour into well in flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just blended. The batter should be a bit lumpy. For fluffy pancakes, mix as little as possible.
- COAT a large frying pan lightly with butter and set over medium heat. (Save time by using 2 pans or a large griddle.) Pour 1/3 cup batter into pan. Pancake will be about 6 in. (15 cm) wide. Add 1 or 2 more pancakes. Gently press peach slices into batter.
- COOK until bubbles form on the top of each pancake and edges begin to brown, 2 to 4 min. Using a wide spatula, flip and continue cooking until the bottoms of pancakes become golden, 2 to 3 min. Don’t press or they will become tough.
- SERVE right away or place on a plate and keep warm in a low-temperature oven while cooking remaining pancakes. They’re delicious drizzled with cinnamon-spiked maple syrup.
Bacon surprise: Lay strips of crispy bacon in pan. Pour plain pancake batter over bacon. Cook as usual. Serve with dark maple syrup.
How to make pancakes