Updated Oct 2, 2017Chatelaine
- DOUGH: Whirl flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp salt in a food processor until combined. Add lard and pulse 12 times until fine. Add butter and pulse 7 or 8 times until pea-size. While pulsing, add ice water through the feed tube until dough just comes together. Divide dough in half, then shape and press each half into a rectangle. Wrap both with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hr.
- POSITION rack in lowest level of oven. Preheat to 425F. Line a 17 x 13-in. rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- ROLL 1 dough portion into a 20 x 16-in. rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Press onto prepared sheet, leaving overhang, then refrigerate. Roll remaining dough portion into a 17 x 13-in. rectangle. Place on another baking sheet and refrigerate.
- FILLING: Toss apples, lemon zest and juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt and nutmeg in a large bowl until combined. Transfer to bottom crust, spreading evenly. Cover apples with remaining crust, trimming excess dough if needed. Fold overhanging bottom dough over top, then crimp edges. Using a paring knife, cut 3 to 5 steam vents on top. Brush with egg wash without touching the edges.
- BAKE pie for 20 min. Reduce heat to 375F, rotate sheet and continue baking until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, 25 to 30 more min. Cover with foil if crust is browning too quickly. Cool completely before glazing and slicing, about 2 hr.
- GLAZE: Whisk icing sugar and water until smooth and thick enough to prevent spreading. Using a spoon or piping bag, drizzle over pie.
Kitchen Tip: For bakery-style icing designs, fill a piping bag and drizzle.
Kitchen Tip: Granny Smith apples have a tart finish and a good structure for baking. If you prefer another baking apple, be sure to adjust the sugar accordingly.
Kitchen Tip: If you have a small food processor, make pastry in 2 batches.
NutritionCalories 314, Protein 3 g, Carbohydrates 39 g, Fat 17 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 241 mg.
Chatelaine Basics: How To Peel And Core An Apple