Updated Apr 7, 2017Chatelaine
1 1/2 tsp
1 1/2 tsp
Brown butter icing
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium, stirring until nutty brown, 4 to 5 min. Pour into a medium bowl, leaving brown bits in pan. Let cool 10 min. Refrigerate until butter is cold and firm, about 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Spray 2 9-in. round cake pans with oil and line bottoms with parchment.
- WHISK molasses with hot water in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in baking soda. Let stand for 10 min.
- WHISK flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- WHISK eggs, oil, both sugars and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in molasses mixture. Gradually whisk in flour mixture just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans, smoothing tops. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 min. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 min. Run a knife around edge of pans and turn out onto rack. Remove parchment and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- BEAT cold brown butter with an electric mixer on medium-high, until light and creamy, about 3 min. Beat in cream cheese until smooth, about
4 min. Reduce speed to medium-low. Gradually add icing sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until combined, 5 more min.
- PLACE 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread half of the icing overtop. Add second cake layer. Spread remaining icing overtop. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Tip: Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Wrap in plastic wrap. Make brown butter icing up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container.
NutritionCalories 605, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 85 g, Fat 28 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 437 mg. Excellent source of iron
Chatelaine Cookies: Gingerbread cookies