Updated Mar 13, 2017Chatelaine
1 1/2 cups
cold unsalted butter, cubed
3 1/2 tbsp
- WHIRL flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse.
- DRIZZLE in milk through feed tube with motor running until dough comes together.
- KNEAD dough on work surface (without added flour) until a smooth ball forms. Flatten into a square and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- ROLL dough on lightly floured surface to a scant ¼-in.-thick square. Cut out using crinkled square 2-in. cookie cutter, rerolling scraps. Arrange on prepared baking sheets.
- BEAT egg yolk with a few drops of water and brush each cookie. Drag tines of fork across cookie in a cross-hatch pattern. Chill for 10 min.
- BAKE until dark golden and crisp, 15 to 18 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Stir lemon zest, lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth. Brush over cookies. Cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baking Tip: Make dough up to 2 days ahead. Glaze cookies on the day of serving. Glazing too far ahead of time may create a crystallized pattern.
NutritionCalories 70, Protein 1 g, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fat 3 g, Sodium 45 mg.
The three best ways to separate an egg