Updated Dec 5, 2018Chatelaine
- STIRflour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- USING an electric mixer on medium, beat butter with sugars in a large bowl until fluffy, 1 to 2 min. Beat in egg and vanilla, scraping down side of bowl. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture until combined. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 min.
- LINE a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1 tbsp portions and roll each into a ball. Flatten each ball with your palm into a 2-in. wide circle. Sprinkle with a pinch of crushed sea salt, then place 1 chocolate square, top side down, in the centre. Wrap dough around chocolate square and roll into a ball. Place, seam side down, 1 in. apart, on prepared sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 min.
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 325F. Bake until tops are set, about 7 min. (Cookies should look domed.) Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- TEMPER white chocolate, if desired. Scrape into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe a swirl across each cookie. Sets in about 15 min.
Kitchen Tip: Store in a covered container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
Kitchen Tip: To roast white chocolate, spread 170 g chopped white chocolate in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 250F, folding and smoothing out chocolate with an offset spatula every 10 min, until chocolate is a deep golden colour, about 1 hr. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 min, then refrigerate until hardened enough to chop, about 1 1/2 hr more. Or, look for roasted white chocolate at gourmet candy stores.
NutritionCalories 117, Protein 2 g, Carbohydrates 15 g, Fat 6 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 107 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Caramel skillet s'mores