Updated Mar 2, 2018Chatelaine
- PREHEAT oven to 350F, then lightly spray an 8 -in.square baking pan with oil. Boil a pot of water.
- COMBINE dates and 3/4 cup water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 to 4 min. Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and let stand for 10 min. Lightly mash with a fork.
- WHISK flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- BEAT butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until combined, then vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat on low until just combined. Stir in date mixture.
- POUR batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Place pan in a roasting pan. Pour boiling water into roasting pan to come almost halfway up the side of the cake pan. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil. Carefully transfer to oven. Bake until centre is slightly firm, 45 to 50 min.
- RE-WARM 3/4 cup of the caramel sauce.
- REMOVE cake from water bath. Immediately poke holes all over with a skewer and pour warm caramel sauce overtop. Let stand 15 min. Serve with more caramel and vanilla custard.
NutritionCalories 212, Protein 3 g, Carbohydrates 38 g, Fat 6 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 182 mg.
How to caramelize sugar