Updated Mar 10, 2017Chatelaine
- MELT butter in a pot over medium. Add celery, potatoes, carrot, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until carrots start to soften, about 5 min. Sprinkle with flour and salt. Stir until combined. Season with fresh pepper.
- ADD wine and clam juice. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 min. Stir in milk, mussels, shrimp, haddock and scallops. Increase heat to medium. Boil, covered, stirring once, until mussels have opened, 5 to 6 min. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened. Ladle chowder into bowls and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
How to prep and cook fresh mussels
1. Serve mussels on the day you buy them. Store in the fridge.
2. Discard any raw mussels that do not close within a minute when tapped gently against the counter. Also discard any that are cracked.
3. Mussel “beards” are stringy threads that protrude from the shell. To remove, pull firmly to tug them out. Many mussels are already debearded during processing.
4. Do not eat any mussels that remain closed after cooking.
NutritionCalories 478, Protein 52 g, Carbohydrates 37 g, Fat 12 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 930 mg.
How to clean and cook mussels