Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
raw red beet, grated
raw yellow beet, grated
ground black pepper
canola oil, for frying
FOR BARLEY SALAD
- Mix the ingredients for the burgers well in a bowl, and let rest in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Prepare the barley for the salad: Boil it in water with a little salt for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool down. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Form flat cakes of the burger mixture with your hands. Heat the oil in a skillet and pan-fry the cakes until golden on both sides. Transfer them to an ovenproof dish and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Make the salad: Mix the barley with the celery, parsley, oil and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beet cakes with barley salad.
Recipe from the book “The Nordic Diet” by Trina Hahnemann, published by Skyhorse Publishing.
The burgers can be made the day before and reheated.