Updated Apr 7, 2017Chatelaine
cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Whirl cottage cheese with 1 egg yolk in a food processor. Add flour and salt, then butter. Pulse until dough starts to form a ball. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into an 8-in. log, then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, then onion. Sprinkle with curry powder, chili flakes and pepper. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 2 min. Add kale and cook until it wilts, about 4 min. Stir in spinach and cook until spinach wilts, 3 min. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Drain any excess liquid, then stir in beaten egg, cinnamon and feta.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, flatten a log, then roll into a 30 × 5-in. rectangle, about 1/8 in. thick. Cut into 5 6 × 5-in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining log. You should have 10 pastry rectangles. Whisk remaining egg yolk with 1 tbsp water for egg wash. Scoop about 1/3 cup kale mixture in the centre of each rectangle. Brush edges of rectangles with egg wash and fold over filling so short ends meet, forming a packet. Crimp edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Arrange pies, seam-side down, on parchment, keeping them about 1 in. apart. Brush tops with remaining egg wash. Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, cut 3 small slits on top of each pie.
- Bake in centre of oven until tops and bottoms are golden-brown, 25 to 30 min. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
Pastry dough can be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.